So she brought me over some Alpaca wool for me to test, courtesy of the adorable Alpacas who live happily at Spring Farm in Fletching East Sussex http://www.springfarmalpacas.co.uk/.
So I set about following the BJD magazine tutorial instructions, as well as Ryo Yoshida's superb doll making guide book, which I ordered from Hobby Link Japan* recently (who by the way turned out to be a great place to shop - great comms, accept Paypal, customs fees included in the price, and Fedex service available. To my surprise my book arrived in just 1 week! Cost about £30 in total) *http://www.hlj.com/
What I did slightly differently though was to prepare sections of hair in advance:
I know, it looks really weird! But it was quite practical, because I just squirted my PVA glue into the middle and then with a brush glued each section to the plate, so that I could peel it off easily later. I made two of these hairy frisbee plates, but later made another one adding smaller sections of hair as well. I needed these at the front of the wig cap to neatly frame her face.
I left the glued hair sections to dry over night. In the morning I peeled them off the plate and trimmed the edges with scissors.
I then started glueing the sections onto the wig cap:
(This just shows the wig cap on a wig stand, just it was nice and clear for the photo. I did the glueing while she was wearing it, her head still wrapped in cling film.)
This really didn't take very long at all, only a few hours. And the Alpaca wool has worked really well!
And the result is gorgeous!!
|Wild and tousled!|
|The wool has such a thick, soft texture and gentle colour gradation!|
|Close up of face. The wig has come out really well and fits nicely|
Next up: I've been playing around with making a swivel-down eyepiece made from a brass fixing from an old chest of drawers... It'll all make sense soon enough!!